4 | Exfoliate Your Way to Enviable Skin
Do you know what exfoliation means? Most people are aware of this skin
procedure while others are not. In the case that you have a few questions
about exfoliation, below we will help you make sense of this mystical word.
Exfoliation involves the removal of the dead skin cells on the outermost surface of the skin. It has also been used for various years to maintain healthy and active skin.
Exfoliation is involved in the method of all facials, during chemical peels and microdermabrasion at medical spas. Exfoliation can also be attained through chemical or mechanical means.
According to experts, a human’s skin has an inbuilt process of removing dead cells which are replaced by new cells. However, with age, this method slows down and the skin becomes problematic and dull. To bring back a youthful and stunning appearance, exfoliation can be your best option. If it is done regularly, it will boost your skin renewal process and reduce the bad effects of sun rays, dead cells and dirt on your skin.
Types of Exfoliation
There are three distinct types of exfoliation, here they are:
1. Manual Exfoliation – This is the process of scrubbing and cleaning the skin. For facials, a soft and gentle washcloth is the best thing, or an over the counter exfoliating scrub kit may be your ideal option. Just make sure that you pick a scrub which has finer grains to avoid skin irritation. Manual exfoliation devices are appropriate for normal skin. According to experts, skin with acne problems may get irritated if these tools are used. In addition, manual tools are not ideal for sensitive skin.
2. Chemical Exfoliation – This type is ideal for acne prone skin. It can also treat skin with sun damages. The normal skin type needs to depend on chemical exfoliation. But, the dry-skin will benefit from this type of process. This process uses acidic chemicals like beta hydroxyl acids and hydroxyl acids to cure the sun damaged skin, skin with acne and dry skin. The acids remove the useless dead cells and leaves the skin healthier and cleaner.
3. Enzyme Exfoliation – If you have sensitive skin, you will get the best benefits from enzyme exfoliation. This type does not involve scrubbing as it will worsen the skin. Experts claim that daily exfoliation is advisable for other body part. But, the frequency of face exfoliation relies on the skin type. Normal skin needs exfoliation twice a week while dry skin needs exfoliation no more than three times a week.
How to Exfoliate Your Skin
Exfoliating your skin is extremely crucial. If you don’t know how to
exfoliate your skin, this is your chance to learn its do’s and don’ts.
- Do use a clean wash cloth to take away dead skin after washing.
- Do use a full spectrum sunscreen with a rating of 30 SPF or more during the day.
- Do use a naturally derived alpha hydroxyl acid on the skin at night and in the morning.
- Do not wash your skin with an abrasive scrub or cleanser. Scrub-based cleansers usually utilize group up plastic or walnut shells as a topical abrasive. Experts claim that applying an abrasive scrub to the skin will lead in the over-stimulation of the sebaceous glands.
- Do not scrub your skin with a mechanical scrubber, sponge or loofah. These items abrade the skin and this makes your skin appear red and inflamed.
- Do not continue to use an exfoliate if you experience unwanted feelings. Common examples of these are peeling, drying, itching and other related sensations.
Benefits of Exfoliation
Exfoliation provides countless benefits.
Enhances Your Skin’s Texture – If your skin feels dry, sultry or rough, exfoliating your skin is an excellent option to bring back its natural look. If you keep on exfoliating your skin, it keeps your skin smooth and improves its over-all appearance.
Fight the Different Signs of Aging – Through exfoliation, your skin can easily fight the different signs of aging. As your age increases, your skin’s natural abilities to shed dead skin cells slow down. As a result, wrinkles, fine lines and dry skin appear more visible.
Help Prevent Breakouts – If you have whiteheads, blackheads or breakouts, exfoliating your skin will keep pores unclogged and clean.
Even Out Skin Tone – Through exfoliation, even skin tone can be easily acquired. This process also helps in removing leftover dirt and makeup to reveal new and bright skin.
Aid Skin Products Penetrate Deeper – If you have layers of dead skin, your preferred products might not be able to penetrate your skin. As advised, exfoliate your skin regularly and you will get a chance to get the best results.